Looking for tips on how to quiet your mind during meditation?
Everyone thinks that the purpose of meditation is to handle stress, to tune out, to get away from it all. That is part of the process for sure.
But the most important thing for you to know is that small doses of regular meditation actually are intended to make you MORE mindful of your situation and the world, and to handle stress better… rather than merely avoiding it.
Update: New Ways To Quiet Your Mind During Meditation
Hi — Jim here. I was reading through some of the most popular posts on the blog, and I realized I did not tell you about my favorite new ways to quiet my mind during meditation.
My friend Dr. Kilstein has put together a free email course about an ancient healing method that is making a big comeback. There is too much to tell you about on this page, but click on the blue link below, or the picture of Fingerhealing, and you can learn more about it over there.
. Not to just de-stress, but to find that peace within, the peace that spiritual traditions talk about that passes all understanding.
Deepak Chopra says ” meditation is a way to get in the space between your thoughts. You have a thought here, a thought here, and there’s little space between every thought” Here’s more from Deepak on this …
How To Quiet Your Mind During Meditation
Keep your eyes closed, and bring your awareness into your heart, right in the middle of the chest. With all of your awareness try to see, sense, feel your heartbeat. See if you can sense your heartbeat either as a sound or a sensation.
Now that you’re experiencing your heartbeat as a sound or a sensation, bring your awareness to your fingertips, to your hands. See where my hands are? Bring your awareness into your fingertips. You can open you eyes and peek for a second and then go back with your eyes closed. Feel your heartbeat in your fingertips. You feel that? You’ve just diverted blood flow to your hands. This is one of the fastest ways to relieve a migraine headache.
Now bring your awareness back into your heart and just mentally repeat the four words that I’m going to ask you to repeat, mentally.
Peace. Harmony. Laughter. Love.
Peace. Harmony. Laughter. Love.
Do that for two minutes and now move your awareness anywhere in your body that you want to bring healing to. You don’t have to visualize anything, you don’t have to say anything, just bring your awareness. Just bringing awareness to these different parts of your body will bring consciousness, which is healing.
Finally, come back to your heart, and in one minute or so say again those four words: Peace. Harmony. Laughter. Love. Remember those are the goals of all the other goals in our life, whatever we want, ultimately that’s what we want. So repeat: Peace. Harmony. Laughter. Love.
Now keep your awareness in your heart and just for one minute, experience gratitude. You experience gratitude by thinking of all the things you’re already grateful for. The more you experience gratitude, the more you’ll attract things in your life that will make you feel even more grateful. Do that for a second, a few seconds, relax into your body, and open your eyes. This is a healing meditation. read the original story here
Now that is a simple technique. And I can tell you from personal practice, that if you really spend time with those 4 words… and really put your heart into them…. you WILL bring peace, harmony, laughter and love into you life in greater and greater amounts.
More tips from Deepak on how to quiet your mind during meditation:
Here are some clues about how to make your meditation work:
- Have no expectations. Sometimes the mind is too active to settle down. Sometimes it settles down immediately. Sometimes it goes quiet, but the person doesn’t notice. Anything can happen.
- Be easy with yourself. Meditation isn’t about getting it right or wrong. It’s about letting your mind find its true nature.
- Don’t stick with meditation techniques that aren’t leading to inner silence. Unless you transcend the everyday mind, you aren’t truly meditating. Find a technique that works more or less automatically. In India, there are many kinds of mantra meditation, for example. Or simply follow the in and out of your breathing, not paying attention to your thoughts at all. The mind wants to find its source in silence. Give it a chance by letting go.
- Make sure you are alone in a quiet place to meditate. Unplug the phone. Make sure no one is going to disturb you.
- Really be there. If your attention is somewhere else, thinking about your next appointment, errand or meal, of course you won’t find silence. To meditate, your intention must be clear and free of other obligations.
Deepak (see the original story here)
These tips are great, They will help you on your path to more peace, more happiness, handle stress better, and will even improve your immune system and your physical health.
It’s important that not only do you know how to quiet your mind during meditation, but why …
But let me wear you — simply reading an article like this on how to quiet your mind during meditation is not enough. You have to practice regularly, and put the tips into action.
That’s the real truth on quieting your mind during mediation.